(Fake pic taken by my man!)

RANT #2 - LET’S GET REAL, Y’ALL!!!!!!! What the?!?

Here’s the deal…

This country is torn in half, and we need to save it NOW! Why is there SO MUCH ANGER, HATRED, IMPATIENCE AND JUST PLAIN UGLY AMONG US?

I remember a time not so long ago when we just had a great time going out with friends, playing games, dancing, chatting over dessert, etc. Those were the days. Now, you have to know everybody’s political stance so you know what to say or not say, how to say it, and when! Am I right?  Is this right? NO! It is not right! We should all be able to discuss anything in America, while still being polite and considering other opinions.

I had a short conversation with a gentleman last week where we spoke, we listened, we agreed, we agreed to disagree, and we shook hands and thanked each other for this RARE occurrence in society today. It’s a shame!

REGARDING OUR  CURRENT GILPIN COUNTY ELECTION:

Are you ready for this? Some of you will not like what I am about to say, but in America, so far, I have the right to say it, doggone it! I have hundreds of files/videos/photos to back it up, and will respond to anyone who writes me on this subject.

We used to know how we were going to vote, because we voted for the “best candidate,” right? Nowadays you don’t even know the candidates, or what they stand for, because they keep playing political games to get elected! It appears to be all about their own personal political future, and NOT THE ISSUES THE PEOPLE CARE ABOUT FOR THEIR FAMILIES!

For instance: there are two candidates running for office in Gilpin County right now who changed their party affiliation between the last election (2024) and this one. Why? Here’s what I know from being inside politics in this town. You will relate to what I’m saying if you have been watching the political scene here for the past decade or so:

SHERIFF CANDIDATE:

GREG DEMO is running for Sheriff of Gilpin County, which he has served for nearly 30 years. I don’t know Greg personally, but will assume he is a good man. 

PROBLEM: Greg was a registered Republican before he started running for Sheriff. He had switched his Party Affiliation to Unaffiliated, and is now running as a Democrat. This is not a statement against the Democrats, please get this right. God loves us all, every one! However, if you are a resident of Gilpin County, you know there have been a few hundred more Democrats that vote than Republicans here. Now, the Unaffiliated voters are at about 50% of the registered voters. It appears that Undersheriff Demo has changed from Republican to Unaffiliated to Democrat (in this election) as a political ploy to gain votes, rather than to stand up for his political beliefs, when these parties couldn’t be more divided on issues. Has Undersheriff Demo changed his position on all our political issues? Is he really a Democrat? It’s easier to believe he sees more votes coming from Democrats than from Republicans, so decided to switch for votes. That’s how I see it in this race. I am just so sick of the political games. Our county and our country need healing, not people running away from their party to gain favor from those who are not in agreement, but believe you are because you are running in their party!

My recommendation here is to support ZACH MEYER FOR SHERIFF, as he is obviously not changing teams to get elected. He seems like a decent man, married with children, and serves in the Sheriff’s office currently. 

[I have to admit here, that Deputy Meyer is the very officer that came to remove me from my service as a Signature Verification Watcher on October 23, 2024. When I asked him what I was doing wrong, he said, “I just saw you sitting in the chair.” I said, “The Clerk is the one breaking the law.” He was polite, and patient (as I couldn’t believe he was telling me if I didn’t leave with him, he’d handcuff me, take me to jail to spend the night, etc.). But he was nice about it. 😳 Just being honest. The problem was the Clerk who dismissed a worker for challenging “her rules.” She requested my removal, he answered the call.] 

What would have happened if I had refused to leave, since I didn’t break election law? I WOULD HAVE BEEN IN CUFFS AND A JAIL CELL! (mockup pic above)!

I’d rather have a person who stands for what he believes in at the head of our Sheriff’s department. But that’s just me. As I said before, these are my opinions. I’m just sharing them with you as I share my experiences here in Gilpin.


TREASURER  CANDIDATES:

MARY LORENZ is our current Treasurer and was an active Republican in Gilpin County until 2025. Mary changed her affiliation to Unaffiliated for this election. What I have seen over the past two years is that Mary was very angry with the Gilpin Republicans for not supporting Jessica Kays (whom Mary supported for County Commissioner) in the 2024 primary election). Jessica Kays has a very rough history from when she served as Clerk for Gilpin County and was investigated by the FBI and mishandled the county funds.  Mary was supporting that candidate against our only Republican Commissioner, who voted down the Forever Tax for the Rec Center, and the huge expense of the nearly THREE-MILLION-DOLLAR Food Pantry (“Community Annex”). 

Marie Mornis was saving the taxpayers money, but Mary Lorenz chose to stand for the candidate that hurt the county and thrust the party into a primary election. Mary was very vocal with social media posts against our Commissioner. Mary was part of a group that tried to unseat the Chair of the Gilpin County Republicans and support Jessica Kays. They were what many of us call “RINOs” (Republicans in Name Only). They lost the vote at the Republican meeting and all the RINOs left. Politics is ugly, I know. BUT - somebody has to lead the County and the Country. I believe we have to vote for people who will do the right thing for their constituents, not based on their personal friendships. 

It appears to me that Mary Lorenz was so upset after losing their chance to rid the Republicans of Marie Mornis and replace her with Jessica Kays that she quit. She changed her affiliation to Unaffiliated. You will notice her campaign signs are on properties of Democrats, along with signs for mostly Democrat candidates - which is FINE! Right? Mary can do whatever she wants, but I think the voters should know what’s going on before you vote. Either way, we should KNOW!!!

My recommendation for the best candidate for Treasurer is BRENDA DIEHL. Brenda and her husband have lived in Gilpin County for 29 years. She has worked in the financial industry for 30 years and recently retired. She really wants to serve this county, and I believe she would do a great job.


BOTTOM LINE FOR ME:  Honesty, integrity and commitment to excellence is important. 

SECOND UP FROM THE BOTTOM LINE: Another thing that matters is fresh, new ideas and a willingness to dig in and make things better. Sometimes (as you see in our Senate, Congress and Judiciary) people stay too long. 

Qualified newcomers are a breath of fresh air in elected offices. That’s where I am - at this stage of politics in Gilpin County! 

These offices are open to all registered voters in the county! Just because someone has had a job for years, doesn’t necessarily make them the best person to continue. Just maybe new people will get this done just as well, or even better. This is why we have elections!

I will be putting out more information soon on other election issues. I am researching everything, trying to get it to you before you vote. Please take your time, as this is a critical election for us all!

Thank you for reading this blog. Feel free to share it with those you think will be able to use the information.


May God bless you, and our beautiful mountain community.

Thank you for reading, researching and sharing the LIGHT!

Donna Okray Parman
Founder, The Gilpin Light

thegilpinlight@gmail.com