FREE FALL, FAMILY, FOOD & FUN FEST - and other important updates!


Hello Gilpin Light members! 

I start this blog post with an invitation for you and your family to come out to the Gilpin County Fairgrounds this Saturday for a fun event planned to introduce you to the Republican Commissioner candidates where you can ask them questions that have been on your mind.  Or let them know what you would like them to do for our county! We’d love to see you there!

                                                                 🍁🍁🍁🍁🍁🍁🍁🍁🍁

There are so many irons in the fire right now with our county, most of which I have brought to you in the past. Here’s a brief update…

1 - The Food Pantry/Community Annex…

I filed a CORA Request to get the current cost estimates for this crazy project being slipped through under the table by our County Manager and Commissioners Hollingsworth and Berumen. (Sorry, but that’s the truth). 

They denied my request to get the cost estimates - which started at $1.3 million in June, 2023. I was in the room and asked them not to spend our money on that project! I asked them to improve or replace the current double-wide trailer being used to pass out free food to the people of Gilpin County. Instead, they have blown it up to this 2,500 sq, ft. building with offices and a commercial kitchen. They are also planning to move it down the road apiece (literally), where it will mean removing a small forest of trees, and all new utilities to be run to that location. 

UPDATE - $1.85 MILLION - (revealed at the Commissioner Candidate Forum at the Courthouse Friday, September 20). 

2 - The Rec Center…

Still not open full time! Here is the schedule from the website:

Just prior to Covid, the Rec Center was open seven days a week for all people.

Senior activities must not be a priority to these administrators, as they have not returned all the activities, such as three lunches a week and a monthly Field Trip! Here is what they list on the website:

“In 2024 Senior Lunch is at the Community Center every Wednesday and Friday from 12:00 p.m. - 1:00 p.m.”

3 - Strip Clubs in Central City:

The Central City Council refused to change their parameters for a strip club in relation to churches and other gathering places, so the RCI Hospitality Holdings, LLC is suing the City. The CEO, Eric Langan has boldly stated he will open with dancers wearing “see-through latex clothing” if he has to, in order to open. He has had to postpone his planned November 7 opening due to remodeling delays at the building.

4 - A personal note to my readers… 

On June 13, I sent a post on this blog to inform you of the most important thing I have encountered since I started sending out information to the regular folks who may not have time or interest in keeping an eye on what our Commissioners and other administrators are doing in Gilpin County.

This is the blog:

https://draft.blogger.com/blog/post/edit/3697171332097992759/6326988706482331523

I told you then that we were being censored…not only by the local newspapers, but the local social media sites, as well.

There is one thing I have been fighting for in the past couple of years, and that is my First Amendment Right to Free Speech! If we don’t fight to keep our civil rights, what do we have?

Since that time, I made the decision (which I would do again) to put out a postcard to all voters in Gilpin County with a link to all the newspaper and other reports (including a Denver 7 news report) about the investigation into the activities of a candidate running for County Commissioner in this year’s Primary election, Jessica Lovingier Kays. There was no editorial comment on the postcard, just facts of her activities this year, and copies of all publications telling of all her activities as Clerk of the County years ago. 

I believe voters have the right to know for whom they are voting, and it was worth it to get the information out, despite all the censorship I incurred.

Jessica filed a Complaint against me with the Secretary of State on three issues: 

 - I didn’t form a Campaign Committee. (True)

 - I didn’t put my name on the postcard. (True)

 - I didn’t submit the receipts of my expenditures to the                        Secretary of State. (True)

The investigator dropped the first charge, as I am an independent citizen with no requirement to form a Campaign Committee to promote or oppose a candidate. I just sent out facts.

I will now be attending a hearing to defend myself on the other items..

 - I didn’t put my name on the card because I didn’t have any             personal opinions on the card. It was presented to the voters             with facts alone.

 - I didn’t report the money I spent because I didn’t know I had to         do so as an individual Citizen of the United States of                            America.

Tomorrow is the hearing. I will let you know what happens later. 

Here is a copy of the postcard:



The Editor of The Weekly Register-Call newspaper alerted me last night they will be covering the story on the Hearing in this week’s paper. She asked me to submit a comment. I did so. I just hope and pray she doesn’t censor my comments regarding being CENSORED! 😳😡  

That’s it for now. 

If you’d like to meet like-minded people in Gilpin County, please come out to the Gilpin Library on Thursday night - this Thursday, October 3 at 7 p.m.  We will be talking about all the issues on your ballot being mailed on October 11.

We’d love to see you at the Free Fall, Family, Food & Fun Fest on Saturday at the fairgrounds (invitation at top)! 

Thank you for reading, researching and sharing the light!

Donna Okray Parman

Founder, The Gilpin Light


thegilpinlight@gmail.com


Email the Commissioners

... or call them at 303-582-5214 to voice your concerns. Bypass lengthy voice commands by these extension numbers as soon as the system answers.  It will connect you to the Commissioner's voicemail.
 
Marie Mornis extension - 11101

Sandy Hollingsworth extension - 11103

Susan Berumen extension - 11102

Popular Posts